Friday, August 2, 2013

*hangs head in shame*

It happened.  It happened bad.  In the last two weeks, we've been having a hard time with the parent-child relationship.  On the drive up to visit my best friend, Gabriel was spitting on his brother.  After being told to stop several times and him continuing while kicking my seat (another thing he knows not to do), I pulled over to talk to him (which used to always work).  It didn't.  Bad choice 1: I slapped his hand.  Not hard, but enough where I thought it would get his attention.  It didn't.  Bad choice 2: when he spit in my face, I maybe touched his face (I didn't slap it, but I wanted to hard).

Worst experience 2:  The other day we went out for a short excursion to have dinner and get scissors from Hobby Lobby.  Gabriel was doing *whatever* it was again and we were next to the Jeep trying to talk when he started hitting/kicking/spitting again.  I swatted his bottom.  I thought for SURE that would work.  Maybe I didn't swat him hard enough because that kid didn't even blink!  I'm generally only a fan of spankings when it's a life and death type of thing (your kid keeps running out into the road and won't pay attention). 

I'll be entirely honest that my fuse has been way shorter with Gabe.  I've been trying to make a point to spend positive time with him, but it's hard with how busy we are.  And it's extra hard when I offer to read books and he keeps saying no.  And then add on top that he's been a huge goober lately and it's extra, extra hard and I'm sorta over it.  I HATE feeling this way as a mom.  I used to LOVE spending time with Gabriel.  I get that he's struggling with all of the transitions.  But I'm sorta just over it.  Turn four already and be a responsible, kid child again. 

"If you're gonna act like a turd, go lay in the yard."

No comments:

Post a Comment