Friday, May 21, 2010

Yea for good sleep

Not mine, but Gabriels... So last night, Chris and I were totally pooped by the time we got home, so we pretty much vegged out in front of the tv. Gabriel was getting tired, so we put him down at about 7:18 (yes, I said about, but I'm pretty sure it was 7:18...but what if I was wrong, huh). I waited for about ten minutes to make sure he'd actually fall asleep (which he did and stayed asleep for the most part) and then got started on the new garden project. See, here's the thing: the guy before us put up a retaining wall for the garden area surrounding the base of our house...but instead of gardening it, he filled it with rocks (like 1/4-1/3 lava rocks and the rest just plain old white-ish rocks). I'm so confused about so many things this guy did... Anyway, so Chris and I had always said that if we were going to stay in our house long-term that we wanted to make it into an actual garden, but originally planned on fixing it up to potentially sell about 3 years after moving in. The problem is: the longer we stay there, the more projects we start and the more we (more him than me) don't want to leave said house. Anyway, so we bought blueberry bushes and Chris started taking the rocks out and got the larger half of the front area totally done. So last night I started moving the retaining wall in (b/c I don't want a garden that big in the front of my house) and we put the compost (that we got for free from the city...how did I not know about this last year when we spent over a hundred dollars starting up my garden and bought large, large amounts of compost???) in and there's ALMOST enough of it for that right side, but we'll have to wait until next Wednesday to get more compost; the three blueberry bushes that will be located on the right side are in place. I think one more load of compost will be enough for that right, front area...and then we'll get started on the left side. I'm excited to have my veggie garden in the back yard and then have my berry bushes, rhubarb, etc in the garden area around the base of our house. Personally, I'd like to have a garden that you can eat anything out of. Here's hoping... (The point of this is to say how happy I am that I feel we're actually getting somewhere with some of our projects and that, although I was nervous I'd regret it when we started the project, I'm actually very happy it's happening!)

On another note: Gabe loved his cereal again and was angry when there was no more, so I let him play with the spoon instead, which I thought was a nice compromise. Honestly, though, I started out feeding him by my lonesome and I'm wondering How Do Single Parents Do It? I mean, I'm totally not being rude, but am seriously wondering. It felt like it took super powers to get halfway through the bowl (of which only about a fourth got into his mouth and the rest ended up on his bib...on his cheeks...on his eyebrow?...and, okay, a little on his ear). But when Chris AND I tag-teamed it, it was much more efficient. Just like baths. A one person job ends up he doesn't really get cleaned and it takes forever to clean up afterwards. A two person job still takes forever to clean up afterwards (read: I have to change my clothes b/c it looks like I've showered with them on), but at least Gabriel gets clean...and it's funner that way. I love the fact that I tried to feed him all by myself (like a big girl) but am very grateful for The Hubster who's willing to do things right along with me (and me alongside him).

No comments:

Post a Comment